Saturday, August 16, 2014

For the Bach

A couple of times a year my stitching group have a weekend away at a bach (holiday house) at a beach north of Wellington.  We arrive anytime from late Friday afternoon to the evening, even though we can leave Wellington in the morning it can take most of the day to get there - just a few shops on the way!!

These are weekends with lots of stitching, great food and company.  The bach has a rather worn quilt on the couch and we decided that it couldn't really be repaired so we created a new one.  The finished quilt ...

Based on 7 1/2" log cabin blocks with the same reddish centre square, bound in red (unfortunately the photo misses this).  As I missed the weekend when the top was sewn together, I sewed my blocks into cushion covers.

To create the cushion cover, I first quilted the top, batting and backing.

To mark the circles for quilting traced around a plate with a chalk marker.  Following the lines (but not completing the circle) free motion quilted in a spiral towards the centre, then restarted from the outside to increase the size of the circle/spiral.  Finally filling in the spacing between the circles.

Before attaching the binding I used two overlapping pieces for the back of the cushion cover - I avoid zips!!  As long as there is enough overlap the cushion inners fit quite well.  Then add binding as usual.
overlapped backs pinned to quilted top

separate piece for the back

The finished cushions showing the overlapped back opening.  The quilt and cushions are now with their owner, hopefully later in the year we'll have a visit to the bach and be able to enjoy our creativity.

No comments: