Friday, August 22, 2014

More good reading

The second edition of the online magaine 'Through our Hands' is now available.  The magazine is put together by Laura Kemshall, Annabel Rainbow and Linda Kemshall and features interesting articles and heaps of eye candy. 
Add caption


Click here to read the first edition.

Monday, August 18, 2014


Last school term saw me exploring the streets of Newtown while my kids had sports/training near by.  This term the training has moved to Kilbirnie.  Kilbirnie isn't nearly as interesting as Newtown for people watching, cafes and exploring the streets.  

Although it does have two very good quilting related shops - Stitchbird and Wellington Sewing ServicesThe Children's Bookshop is a fantastic shop that I could easily settle into one of their comfy chairs for quite awhile - you don't need to have kids to enjoy this shop.

Last week, even though it was blowing a bit of a gale, I walked to Lyall Bay, stopping at Elements cafe to enjoy a coffee and something to eat.  
an empty Lyall Bay beach

Then as it was only a block from the sea had a quick stop at the empty beach.  The sea was mostly flat - the wind was a northerly, so no surfers.  The walk back was a good workout - walking into the wind.
a couple of rowdy locals

For a couple of weeks there is a break from training - so no Kilbirnie for awhile.

Saturday, August 16, 2014

For the Bach

A couple of times a year my stitching group have a weekend away at a bach (holiday house) at a beach north of Wellington.  We arrive anytime from late Friday afternoon to the evening, even though we can leave Wellington in the morning it can take most of the day to get there - just a few shops on the way!!

These are weekends with lots of stitching, great food and company.  The bach has a rather worn quilt on the couch and we decided that it couldn't really be repaired so we created a new one.  The finished quilt ...

Based on 7 1/2" log cabin blocks with the same reddish centre square, bound in red (unfortunately the photo misses this).  As I missed the weekend when the top was sewn together, I sewed my blocks into cushion covers.

To create the cushion cover, I first quilted the top, batting and backing.

To mark the circles for quilting traced around a plate with a chalk marker.  Following the lines (but not completing the circle) free motion quilted in a spiral towards the centre, then restarted from the outside to increase the size of the circle/spiral.  Finally filling in the spacing between the circles.

Before attaching the binding I used two overlapping pieces for the back of the cushion cover - I avoid zips!!  As long as there is enough overlap the cushion inners fit quite well.  Then add binding as usual.
overlapped backs pinned to quilted top

separate piece for the back

The finished cushions showing the overlapped back opening.  The quilt and cushions are now with their owner, hopefully later in the year we'll have a visit to the bach and be able to enjoy our creativity.

Friday, August 8, 2014

Joining the Stars

At a recent guild meeting I won some star blocks, that I posted about here.  

As the blocks are not all the same size I thought I could add white strips to each side and then turn the block on a slight angle and cut a bigger square so the star was slightly wonky.  This would (hopefully!) mean that the blocks would be the same size.

I took the blocks along to my stitching group and viewed them on the white design wall.  That showed that some of the yellows didn't contrast enough with the white.  So a suggestion was made to try grey - advantage of being at a house with a large fabric stash - out came a piece of grey.  It made such a difference.

At home I went looking for grey and happened to find two pieces, so tried some blocks on each.
on white

Now looking at the photos I'm not too sure, having ironed the pieces first would have been a good idea.

I still sort of like the white, maybe a bit more trialling needs to be done.  And, I now have my own design wall - more on that another time.
on grey

on darker grey

Friday, August 1, 2014

Holiday snaps

As I mentioned in this post, we spent a few days in New Plymouth during the school holidays. 

This is the view of Kapiti Island and the Kapiti coast north from above Paekakariki towards Paraparaumu.  At this point we were still close to Wellington with quite a few more hours of driving before reaching New Plymouth.


 A few photos of the elusive Mt Taranaki, mostly the mountain was covered in cloud, so I was determined to get photos of the few glimpses we managed to see.

there is a mountain behind those clouds


first glimpses of snow covered slopes ...
Stratford mountain road
in the clouds at the top of the road up from Stratford

finally the top appears
a brief time when the clouds part
A friend suggested we visit Te Rewa Rewa bridge on the Coastal Walkway.  I'm glad she did, previously we've seen and enjoyed other parts of the Coastal Walkway, the bridge is stunning!

The morning was mostly cloudless and we did see and photograph the mountain, later in the morning the clouds rolled on in.

Te Rewa Rewa bridge

The visit was way too short and another longer stay is needed.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Dream Collection

SAQA's annual Benefit Auction starts on online on 15 September, the auction is a major fundraiser for SAQA.  All the 12" x 12" auction quilts appear here.   

This year my entry is 'Kikorangi Kowhaiwhai', I posted here about how I created it.

SAQA are also displaying Dream Collections, these are groups of six quilts that people have chosen. This is my collection that I've called 'Colours of the Pacific'.