Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

SAQA 2014 auction

Every year SAQA holds a benefit auction where members can donate a 12x12" quilt.  
While this year's auction doesn't start until September, the quilts can be viewed on SAQA's website (see here).  My 12x12" quilt 'Kikorangi Kowhaiwhai' appears on page 2a.


Kikorangi Kowhaiwhai

Back here I posted about how it was made and at that stage it didn't have a name.  So thanks to Ms Lottie for suggesting the name, Kikorangi is Maori for blue and Kowhaiwhai are the Maori curved patterns.









When I've completed a project I usually keep the stencils.  One advantage with using freezer paper stencils is that they can be reused.  Cutting them with a craft knife means that both images can remain intact. 

I've been able to use the opposite image to create two blocks for a friendship quilt that some friends are putting together. 

I didn't have any of the sunprinted fabric left so needed to whip some up - starting late in the afternoon wasn't the cleverest of ideas - now that we're in Autumn/Winter the sun is not so warm.  The effect of the salt was more subtle as I'd needed to let the fabric dry inside.

It'll be interesting to see how my painted blocks fit with more traditional pieced blocks.  It should be a great quilt as the quilter putting the blocks together is going to hand quilt it.  


sunprinting with salt
freezer paper stencilling with paintsticks


stencils removed


2 comments:

Charlotte Scott said...

Well now I feel all chuffed!

I see the deadline for donation quilts has been extended and I'm going to try and have one finished in the next couple days.

Love that negative stencil block you've made - very pretty.

Helen said...

go for it - postage to the US has been quite fast.