Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

a bit of background

Here I posted about my quilt 'Knit one, Paint one' that is part of SAQA's 'Redirecting the Ordinary' Exhibition

"Redirecting the Ordinary" is about turning things around, upside down, inside out, backwards, or how even just a minuscule course correction can charge up the humdrum, turn the common into the uncommon, and make the expected unexpected.  

Some background to how the quilt has been created.

After drawing the pattern and cutting (a lot) of bits of freezer paper, the whole quilt was coloured with mostly one oil pastel and a tiny amount of the darker pastel.
freezer paper stencils on white fabric



oil pastels, stencil brush, freezer paper stencils










I no longer bother attempting to wash my stencil brushes - while some residual paint or pastel can be removed the colour mostly stays.  I now have quite a collection of brushes and tend to just match the colours.  

For some reason my local art shops have stopped selling the smaller stencil brushes so whenever I see them at quilt shows or elsewhere I stock up on a few. 

When I start a new project I usually (!) create a sample (or two).  This is where I try out colours, techniques, patterns, then later thread colour, quilting patterns.  This has helped reduce the number of abandoned efforts - unlike patchwork painting doesn't have an unpick function! 

sample






The first stage of quilting is stitching around each shape then cutting away the batting.  I use the same or similar coloured thread to the final quilting thread.  Then another layer of batting and quilt again around the shapes.  This extra layer of batting (Trapunto) gives more definition to the shapes.

I don't use washable thread, as some do for Trapunto, as I don't want water near the quilt.  Even though I've heat set the pastel I don't need any surprises such as the pastel fading.

No comments: