Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Snakes on Ladders

Snakes on Ladders is my first piece using silk sari strips, my son suggested the name.

I buy over-dyed sari ribbon from Dale Rollerson (www.thethreadstudio.com). One of her techniques is blanket stitching the sari strips onto a base fabric. This created an interesting piece - but what to do with it? 

After machine needle-felting the whole piece I still didn't know what to do with it.   

So I cut some strips and some more, laid them on some woollen-mix felt and eventually came up with an arrangement that I liked.



I entered this (about a year ago) into Aotearoa Quilters online challenge 'On the Line' and won Best of Show! the prize being a great pack of fabric from Distressed Threads.


I've created a grey and pink version called Fishnets that I've entered into SAQA's Benefit Online 2013 Auction, more about that in a later entry.

No comments: