Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

A trip north

Last week I spent a couple of days in Hamilton to see the Aotearoa Quilters exhibition at the Craft and Quilt Fair in Hamilton. 

On the way ...
Mt Ruapehu
Mt Tongariro, Mt Ngauruhoe and Mt Ruapehu
Kakepuku Mountain and Kawa Hill





Kakepuku Mountain (~450m) and Kawa Hill are familiar landmarks from my childhood, although not so prominent from the air.


After arriving in Hamilton, I visited ArtsPost Gallery mainly to see Norma Slabbert's quilts in her Walled Garden exhibition.  Unfortunately photos were not allowed.  

Then a visit to Hamilton isn't complete without a trip to Donna Ward's Studio.


The Craft and Quilt Fair opened on Thursday, Wednesday was judging day.  As I hadn't entered any quilts I volunteered to be a judges scribe. 

It was an amazing experience, I learned heaps about the judging process.  The experience also reconfirmed to me how varied judging can be - that a quilt can win in one show and not another.  

From this I re-learned not to let non-selection, non-winning stop me creating and entering shows.

Some pics:

Ansa Breytenbach's 'Christmas Star' Best of Show
closeup - amazing quilting and beading



 
closeup

Donna Ward's 'Pacific Spice' Best Bed Quilt


















The quilts from AQC's Free challenge were also exhibited:
Bernardine Hine's 'Coreopsis', AQCs viewer choice

closeup
Gillian Shearer's 'I Am Nujood and I Am Free!', AQC runner up

No comments: